Skip to main content

Ninoy Aquino’s Love Poem for Cory

The late national hero Benigno “Ninoy” Aquino, Jr., wrote this poem for his wife, former president Corazon C. Aquino, decades ago. Composer and singer Jose Mari Chan later set the piece into music and included it in his album, Constant Change.

I have fallen in love
with the same woman three times;
In a day spanning 19 years
of tearful joys and joyful tears.

I loved her first when she was young,
enchanting and vibrant, eternally new.
She was brilliant, fragrant,
and cool as the morning dew.

I fell in love with her the second time;
when first she bore her child and mine
always by my side, the source of my strength,
helping to turn the tide.

But there were candles to burn
the world was my concern;
while our home was her domain.
and the people were mine
while the children were hers to maintain;

So it was in those eighteen years and a day.
’till I was detained; forced in prison to stay.

Suddenly she’s our sole support;
source of comfort,
our wellspring of Hope.
on her shoulders felt the burden of Life.

I fell in love again,
with the same woman the third time.
Looming from the battle,
her courage will never fade

Amidst the hardships she has remained,
undaunted and unafraid.
she is calm and composed,
she is God’s lovely maid.

Pres. Cory Aquino's Cortege

I must say that Sen. Aquino is intelligent, if not genius. From his poem, I can vividly say that he loves his wife as well as his nation. And I do admire the love they had for each other. Faithful. Loyal.

I don't know if Pres. Aquino is Sen. Aquino's first love. Nonetheless, she is his last. I admit that I am really hoping to be like Sen. Aquino. On the other hand, we're the same in terms of LOVE. And I can truly boast to everyone that the love of my love is my ONLY one. The first, the last, the ONLY one.

I may not be able to write a poem for her. But I can proudly tell the world, that I HONESTLY LOVE HER! I really do!

Comments

burn said…
The poem is really awesome. Jose Mari Chan sang this song beautifully.

Thanks for posting this poem and thanks for dropping by.

could we ex links? just let me know
Jules said…
That was so sweet of you. =D
And that poem is so beautiful. And i like it too, and the way Jose Mari Chan translate it into music. I like it so much. =D

Summer
A Writers Den
The Brown Mestizo
eden said…
it is really a great poem . thanks for sharing it.
Carms said…
I like the poems it is really meaningful.
Unknown said…
Love the lyric of this poem/song. Very meaningful and full of love for Cory. ;D

Solo
Travel and Living
Job Hunt Pinoy
Carms said…
I hope I could create a poem as good as that.

Popular posts from this blog

Monte Vista Resort at Calamba, Laguna

8 Waves Waterpark and Hotel, San Rafael, Bulacan

Goldilocks Pagbabago Blog Contest Awarding Ceremony